Accomplished digital audio specialist with over 20
years of sound design experience. Proficient in all aspects of recording,
editing and mastering audio, with a particular emphasis on the design and
production of synthesized and sampled sound sets for professional digital
musical instruments. Have developed a number of specialized, proprietary
techniques for manipulating digital audio, with an emphasis on creating
efficient, realistic sound libraries. Featured in The Business Journal of
Portland in a 1998 article, “A New Kind of Music Gig”, available online at http://portland.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/1998/11/09/focus1.html?page=2.
1982 - Present Audio
• Currently working with Northstar Production to create
extremely small General MIDI sound libraries for use in portable devices. More
information is available at www.northstarsamples.com/custom.html
• Supplied a number of sounds for wave-ROM to a
well-known European manufacturer of cell phones. 2003.
• Designed pre-beta test instruments for Prism, a
physical-modeling software synthesizer developed by 3Com. 2000 - 2001.
• Created General MIDI sound libraries for
EuPhonics. These sets helped them to win several major contracts, in
competition with other major suppliers including Korg and Eye & I
Productions. 1994 – 1998.
• Created General MIDI sound libraries for Conexant.
These sets passed Fat Labs General MIDI compatibility certification on the
first try. The largest of these is currently marketed by Tascam for use with
their Gigasampler. 1995 – 1997.
• Created factory sounds and demo sequences for
Yamaha’s SY series and A3000 sampler. 1994 - 1998.
Created General MIDI sound libraries for Crystal
Semiconductor. These sets passed Fat Labs General MIDI compatibility
certification on the first try. 1995 – 1997.
• Designed filters and supplied wave-ROM for Emu’s
Z-plane series of instruments. Over 40 of the filters were included in the
final production instruments. 1996.
• Created sound libraries and performed editing of
General MIDI sound libraries for Eye & I Productions. 1995.
• Created factory sounds and demo sequences for
Peavey’s DPM and Spectrum series synthesizers and samplers. Provided digital
audio samples for inclusion in Spectrum series wave-ROM. 1992 – 1994.
• Created factory sounds for Alesis QS8 synthesizer.
• Created factory sound sets (the sounds the
instruments shipped with) for most Ensoniq synthesizers, including the ESQ
series, EPS series, ASR series, SQ series, MR series, VFX series, TS, series,
and KS series. 1986 – 1996.
• Created and marketed sound libraries for several
electronic instruments, including Roland Juno, Jupiter, and L/A series; Yamaha
DX-7; and instruments from Korg, Kawai, and Ensoniq. 1982 – 1986.
• Created the first after-market set of sounds for a
synthesizer (the Roland Juno-60 and Korg Polysix) in 1982.
2002 - Present Radio
• Have been in charge of technical production and
engineering for the award-winning public radio series "Wisdom Of The
Elders." In charge of all technical issues and audio production for the
series of 24 hour-long programs, as well as script editing and recording. 2002
- present. Examples of my work can be found at www.wisdomoftheelders.org
• Provided recording and engineering services for
independent radio producers of pieces broadcast on Public Radio's "Life
360" and "The Savvy Traveler." 2002 - present.
• Engineering and production for award-winning radio
producer Dmae Roberts on programs including "Miracle on the Streets,"
(recent winner of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalism Award), and "The
Breast Cancer Monologues". 2002 - present. Examples can be found at www.stories1st.org/
• Production and engineering for "Crossing
East", eight one-hour documentaries on Asian immigration to this country.
Currently in production. More information is available at www.crossingeast.org
2003 - Present Web
• Designed and implemented the website and Flash presentation for the site Coming Home: The Return of the Alutiiq Masks.
• Designed, administer and maintain "Wisdom of the
Elders" website. www.wisdomoftheelders.org
• Designed, administer and maintain "Turtle Island
Storytellers Network" website. www.turtleislandstorytellers.net
• Designed and implemented the site Museum Media Inc.
1989 - Present Technical
• Created promotional materials and applications notes for
Kawai Corporation in 1987.
• Authored the book, Programming The Ensoniq SQ-80,
published by Alexander Publishing 1988.
• Authored the owner's manual for Midipaint, the
professional sequencing program from Southworth Music Systems in 1989.
• Wrote feature articles and authored the monthly
questions and answers column in the Transoniq Hacker, the international
newsletter for Ensoniq equipment users from 1986 to 1989. An archive of some of
these issues can be found at http://wwwbode.cs.tum.edu/~buchty/ensoniq/transoniq_hacker/
• Produced owner’s manuals (including all page-layout),
product and sound library databases, dealer training and promotional materials,
press releases, and product comparison studies under the direction of Ensoniq’s
marketing department for a variety of their products from 1986 to 1996.
• Published a number of how-to articles in industry
magazines including Keyboard, Electronic Musician, and Gig Magazine from 1988
to 2001. An example can be found at http://emusician.com/elecinstruments/emusic_taming_triton/
1986 - Present Music
Composition and Production
• Created or aided in the creation of factory demo
sequences for Yamaha, Emu, Peavey, Korg, Crystal Semiconductor, and Intel
• Have produced music for several video projects,
including the award-winning PBS documentary "Kids In Crisis –
• Created the soundtrack for computer-animation
pioneer Jane Veeder's piece, "Floater," a commission for the 1984 Ars
Electronica Festival in Linz, Austria
1984 - Present Recording
• On-call engineer with Northstar Productions. Clients have included Farcry, Enthousiasmos, Linda Lybeck and others.
• Owner/operator of Virtual Music, a project studio
focusing on music production, voice-overs, jingle production, and library music
production. My clients have included Firstcom and Mokol Music (music
libraries), Studio 360 and the Savvy Traveler (public broadcasting), OPB (local
public broadcasting affiliate), several local radio stations, and many local
artists, including Duffy Bishop and Henry Cooper.
1988 - Jan 1994 Consulting
• Consulted with Ensoniq Corp. in the design of
their sound development management program. Developed system for tracking
sounds and sound development and for automating the sound documentation
process. Authored the Ensoniq Developer’s Handbook, the system of guidelines
used by their sound developers in the creation of original sounds, 1992 to
• Consulted with Rodgers Organ on the development of
MIDI systems for their electronic organs. Provided training for their sales
• Aided in the development of Ensoniq’s beta testing
program; designed databases for testers to use in reporting software/hardware
problems; worked with them to iron out the bugs in the electronic
telecommunications system they ultimately used for software problem reporting.
1982 - May 1992 Sales
• Managed the electronic instrument and recording
department at Portland Music Company, Oregon’s largest locally owned musical
instrument retailer. Developed sales promotions and sales training for
employees. Made buying decisions
for electronic instrument and recording departments.
1977 - Present Professional
• Currently performing and touring with The Brothers of the Baladi (Middle-Eastern influenced fusion), and playing local gigs with the Kathy Walker Band (R'n'B), The New Iberians (Zydeco), and The BlueJayz (R'n'B/Blues).
• Professional guitarist working primarily in the
Pacific Northwest, with occasional tours to other parts of the US.
• Recording session musician supporting local
artists, including Lynn Frances Anderson,
soul-singer Ural Thomas, and Russian artist, Elena Maxson.